Thursday, November 3, 2011

Free Pattern Friday! Squeeze n' Sniff Pumpkin Pie




Squeeze n' Sniff Pumpkin Pie

November is here! And finally we are getting some cooler weather down here in Texas! It's not a snowstorm or anything but when we're below 70 it's fall!
I love Thanksgiving: the food, the singing (yes, my mother has us all sing Thanksgiving songs together!), the naps, and oh yeah, football, if you're into that sort of thing. It's also a good day for planning some Black Friday shopping (and oh yeah, I AM into THAT sort of thing)! 



This year make dessert weeks in advance (and you don't have to clear out any room in your freezer).

I made a pumpkin pie! It is absolutely void of calories, fat, and carbohydrates. The whipped cream is optional (but how could you eat pumpkin pie without whipped cream?!).





This pumpkin pie has a secret. Tucked inside is an easy to make sachet filled with pumpkin pie spice so that your Squeeze n' Sniff Punkin Pie smells like the real deal!


You will need...
Yarn (all worsted weight):
  Gray
  Burnt orange
  Tan
  White

Hook:
  Size E/3.5 mm (or your favorite!)

Notions:
  Black safety eyes (10mm)
  Polyester stuffing  
  Yarn needle
  Plastic canvas circle measuring 2 3/4" (or cardboard)  Embroidery needle
  Black embroidery floss
  Scrap of fabric
  Thread
  Pumpkin pie spice

Key: 
BLO: crochet into back loops only
ch: chain 
hdc: half double crochet
inc: increase within the round the number of times indicated
rep: repeat
sc: single crochet 
sl st: slip stitch
st: stitch 

Pan:
Rnd 1: With gray yarn, make an adjustable ring, ch 1, and sc 6 into ring. Pull closed. (6)
Rnd 2: 2 Sc into each st (12)
Rnd 3: (2 Sc into next st, sc into next st)* rep to end of rnd (18)
Rnd 4: (2 Sc into next st, sc into next 2 st)* rep to end of rnd (24)
Rnd 5: (2 Sc into next st, sc into next 3 st)* rep to end of rnd (30)
Rnd 6: (2 Sc into next st, sc into next 9 st)* rep to end of rnd (33)
Rnd 7: Sc into the BLO (back loops only) of each st (33)
Rnd 8: Sc into each st, inc 1 (34)
Rnd 9: Sc into each st, inc 1 (35)
Rnd 10: Sc into each st, inc 1 (36)
Fasten off. Cut yarn tail short (will be tucked inside upon assembly).

Top of Pie:
Rnd 1: With orange yarn, make an adjustable ring, ch 1, and sc 6 into ring. Pull closed. (6)
Rnd 2: 2 Sc into each st (12)
Rnd 3: (2 Sc into next st, sc into next st)* rep to end of rnd (18)
Rnd 4: (2 Sc into next st, sc into next 2 st)* rep to end of rnd (24)
Rnd 5: (2 Sc into next st, sc into next 3 st)* rep to end of rnd (30)
Rnd 6: (2 Sc into next st, sc into next 4 st)* rep to end of rnd (36)
Change color to tan at the last stitch of Rnd 6.
Rnd 7: Sc into each st around (36)
Rnd 8: Sl st into next st, (5 hdc into next st, sl st into next st)* repeat to end of round.
Fasten off and leave a long tail for sewing.

Whipped Cream:
Row 1: With white yarn, ch 7, leaving a long (10") beginning tail. Work 2 sc into the 2nd ch from the hook, sc into the next 3 ch, sc2tog (6)
Row 2: Ch 1, turn. Sc2tog, sc into next 3 st, 2 sc into last st (6)
Row 3: Ch 1, turn. 2 Sc into first st, sc into next 3 st, sc2tog (6)
Row 4-9: Alternate Rows 2 and 3.
Row 10: Ch 1, turn. Line up Row 10 and Row 1. It will be on a diagonal. Sl st the rows together. You will form a tube. 
Fasten off and leave a long (18") tail. Thread the tail onto a yarn needle and weave the tail through the row ends at the top of the tube you've just created. Pull the tail tightly to close up the top of the tube. Insert your hook into a nearby stitch and pull up a loop of the tail. Ch 3, then sc into 2nd ch from hook and next ch. Sl st back into where you started. This has created the "peak" of the whipped cream. Fasten off and weave in the ends. Use the beginning yarn tail to sew the whipped cream to the top of the pie in the center. Stuff sparingly as you go.


Sachet:
Create a tiny sachet to make your pie smell sweet! Fold the rectangular scrap of fabric in half and seam two edges either by hand or machine sewing. Fill the sachet with pumpkin pie spice (I used almost a teaspoon) and stitch closed. 





Assembly:
Insert the safety eyes into the top of the pie as shown. Embroider mouth using two loose straight stitches in a "v" shape.
Insert the plastic canvas (or cardboard) circle into the bottom of the pie. 
Place the top of the pie onto the pan and stitch into place using the tan yarn tail. Before you close it up, stuff with polyester fiberfil and insert the sachet. Continue stitching and fasten off, hiding yarn tail inside pie.




33 comments :

  1. That's really cool - I can't wait to make it. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is very, very awesome. Looks like I need to make a bunch of these to hand out as little thanksgiving gifts :D

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks, DomesticGeek! I'd love to see photos of it! You should post them on my Facebook page!
    Thanks Stephanie (faloola)! :) That sounds like a plan!

    ReplyDelete
  4. AHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!
    I love the pumpkin spice sachet in the pie idea.
    I also can not wait to make a few of these to give as gifts.

    Thanks A

    ReplyDelete
  5. OMG!! My five year old who is OBSESSED with food toys will flip over this!! You rock!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a fabulous idea! You are my Ami Superhero!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Your work is so awesome! I cannot wait to make this! Thank you for having free patterns and great tutorials! Love this!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks Silvia! You could do the sachet with any food!

    Thanks Cora :)

    Darcie--I'd love to see it when you make it! Post a pic over on Facebook if you get a chance!

    Thanks Leigh Ann!

    You're welcome Yvonne!! Glad you like them!

    ReplyDelete
  9. OH MAH GOD!!!! This is ridiculously cute and an awesome idea for the scent too!!!!! I'm dying in a cuteness explosion. I am making one of these TONIGHT!!! I have to say thank you for still offering a few free patterns here and there. I love when talented designers still throw a few freebies out to the crowd... and the crowd goes wild!!!! LOL!! As usual fantastic work! Thanks Silvia!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Glad you like it Mitzi! I'd love to see your finished pumpkin pie! Post it on my Facebook page if you'd like!

    ReplyDelete
  11. What a nice idea! I can imagine people love receiving gifts from you this time of year!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I will!!! I already have all the supplies together in a bag. I'm trying to finish up my current toy I'm crocheting as quickly as possible because I'm dying to make this one :D Sorry I called you Silvia above *giggles* I was reading the comments & trying to add mine while at work & typed Silvia after reading hers! oops! hahaha

    ReplyDelete
  13. Haha That's funny Mitzi! :) That's what I figured ;)

    ReplyDelete
  14. So stinkin' cute! I seriously saw it, went to my stash, and made one on the spot (while watching a movie) Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Yammy! Thank you for sharing it with us!Cant wait to "bake" it! Please stop by at www.etsy.com/shop/karapoozcrochet

    ReplyDelete
  16. This is so cute! I've always been afraid of crochet, but I'm going to try it!
    Charlotte
    http://www.cherrymtncrafts.com/

    ReplyDelete
  17. I am 13, and my friend made this. I am kinda jealeos, so i'm going to make one too!

    ReplyDelete
  18. I absolutely adore this!! Thanks so much for sharing it. I linked to it this morning on my blog: http://www.mooglyblog.com/10-free-thanksgiving-crochet-patterns/

    ReplyDelete
  19. Oops. I'm a little late in telling you this, but just letting you know that I made one of these little cuties and posted it to my blog! Thanks for the wonderful idea! http://geekyhooker.wordpress.com/2012/11/20/giving-thanks/

    ReplyDelete
  20. i love this its so cute thnx

    ReplyDelete
  21. I just adore all of your patterns and creations! The sachet is such a good idea!

    ReplyDelete
  22. This is so cute! I am going to start now and try to make one for each of my 19 fourth graders!

    ReplyDelete
  23. I just cant get the whip cream part :(

    ReplyDelete
  24. Thanks for this pattern (and just got your book by the way and can't wait to make my first creation out of that!) Made this for my 2 1/2 year old who loves pumpkin pie. He has been sniffing it non-stop! Any ideas for other scents I could put in toy crochet food, seeing as he is loving this?

    ReplyDelete
  25. This is adorable! And what a great idea to put a sachet inside. You're amazing! Thank you so much for sharing this pattern.

    ReplyDelete
  26. Very nice post. I just stumbled upon your weblog and wanted to say that I've truly enjoyed browsing your blog posts. After all I will be subscribing to your rss feed and I hope you write again soon!
    Also visit my web-site:Black Friday HP Chromebook 11 Deals or Coupons

    ReplyDelete
  27. What a brilliant idea. I featured this pattern in a roundup on my blog yesterday. http://bookpeoplestudio.wordpress.com/2013/11/29/collinktion-perfect-pie/

    ReplyDelete
  28. I am so happy I found your blog:) Working on acorns and pumpkin pie:) Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  29. So very cute :)
    I'm going to have to make me a few :)

    ReplyDelete